Resilience Scale for Children (RS10)
What is the True Resilience Scale for Children?
The True Resilience Scale for Children or RS10 is a 10-item survey that measures a child’s capacity to respond in a positive way to whatever life brings. It is built on our resilience research that began in the mid-1980s. It is a strengths-based tool, which means that:
- It helps children recognize their unique capabilities.
- Identifies what is going well in their life.
- Lays the foundation upon which to build and support sustainable change.
We developed the True Resilience Scale for Children (RS10) to measure individual resilience in children ages 7-11 years. There are many benefits for using the RS10. The RS10:
- Is positively worded and easily understood for children as young as 7 years old.
- Helps teachers and guidance counselors in middle school settings assess resilience capacity.
- Has a Flesch Reading Ease of 94.8, which is easily understood by most 7-11 year-olds. The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level is 2.4, which corresponds with the grade level.
- Cronbach’s alpha was .82 in early testing of the RS10.
As with the True Resilience Assessment for Middle School students, the RS10 measures individual resilience capacity along five core elements:
- Sense of purpose and meaning
Frequently Asked Questions
The True Resilience Scale for Children can be used with age groups from 7-11 years of age with success.
- The Flesch Reading Ease is 94.8 for the True Resilience Scale, which is easily understandable by most 17-11 year-olds. The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level is 2.4, which corresponds with the grade level.
- The True Resilience Scale for Children Cronbach’s alpha was .82 in early testing of the scale.
Average response time for most children to complete the True Resilience Scale is 4 minutes.
Yes. You will need to purchase a license to use the True Resilience Scale for Children. Please complete the Contact Us form and we will respond within 72 hours.
Examples of items from the True Resilience Scale for Children (RS10) include:
- I think I’m okay just the way I am right now.
- When I get upset, I know how to calm down.
- I finish what I begin.
If you are interested in using the online True Resilience Scale for Children, please Contact Us. We will respond within 72 hours.