True Resilience Assessment for Youth
The online True Resilience Assessment is a complete assessment based on nine years of research and tested with thousands of students. It comprises two parts:
- True Resilience Scale (25 items) - measures individual resilience capacity along five core elements:
- Sense of purpose and meaning
- True Resilience Supports Scale for Youth (20 items) - measures the four supports that help to build and strengthen resilience. The four supports are:
- Taking care of yourself
- Engaging fully in life
- Connecting with others
- Achieving balance and harmony in your life
The True Resilience Assessment for Youth:
- Is online and ready for your school to brand and deliver within 72 hours.
- Is positively worded, easily understood, and fun for students to complete.
- Helps teachers and guidance counselors in middle school settings assess resilience capacity as well as the four characteristics that support the growth and development of individual resilience.
- Has a Flesch Reading Ease of 85.4, which is easily understood by most 12 year-olds. The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level is 3.8, which corresponds with the grade level.
- Has strong internal consistency with a Cronbach’s alpha of .92.
- Is highly cost-effective – as a single measure of resilience, it removes the need for separate measures to arrive at a resilience score.
- Is suitable for ages 12-16 years. (For younger children we offer the Resilience Scale for Children or RS10) hyperlink to RS10.
- Is ideal as a baseline measure to estimate resilience in classes, groups, and other settings and assess changes in resilience and resilience supports scores over time.
- Upon completion and at the click of a button, the student receives a personalized True Resilience for Youth Profile that can be viewed online, saved, or printed as a PDF. The Profile:
- Explains students’ scores in a way that students readily understand.
- Is an excellent starting place for classroom discussion, individual reflection, and resilience building exercises.
Frequently Asked Questions
Resilience is the capacity to live with purpose, perseverance, equanimity, authenticity, and self-reliance. A strong capacity for resilience leads to lives that are rich, rewarding, and significant. As children and young adults’ resilience grows, they are better prepared to positively manage change, challenge, and adversity.
We have learned in our research that when resilience increases, students experience greater academic success, are better prepared to deal with rejection, failure, and anxiety, and practice healthier lifestyle behaviors. Resilient students have discovered how to keep things in perspective, not catastrophize, and practice optimism. They have learned how they can depend on themselves and others can depend on them, leading to self-confidence. They have learned to appreciate themselves as unique, irreplaceable, and precious.
Our aim is help children and teens develop their abilities and unique talents, work toward goals that are important to them, and learn good decision making skills. Our True Resilience Assessment gives teachers and counselors an excellent starting place for helping students achieve their goals and experience satisfaction with their lives.
The True Resilience Assessment for Youth™ is a proven tool, based on sound scientific research. It is based on nine years of research with youth. Our resilience assessment has been used with thousands of youth.
There are many other instruments available to measure resilience but the True Resilience Assessment for Middle School Students is an excellent choice. It is highly reliable and valid. It has been used with individuals from ages 12 – 16 with very good results.
Dr. Gail Wagnild’s book True Resilience details the original research that led to the True Resilience Scale and her work prior to the creation of the scale that eventually led her to an in-depth understanding of resilience.
The True Resilience Assessment has been used with age groups from 12 to 16 years of age with success.
- The Flesch Reading Ease is 80.8 for the True Resilience Scale, which is easily understandable by most 12-year olds. The Flesch-Kincaid Grade level is 4.3, which corresponds with the grade level.
- The Flesch Reading Ease for the True Resilience Supports Scale is 85.4 and the Grade level is 3.8.
- The True Resilience Scale has strong internal consistency with a Cronbach’s alpha of .92.
Average response time to complete the True Resilience Assessment is 10 minutes.
Yes. You will need to purchase a license to use the online True Resilience Assessment for Youth or any of the online instruments on this website (click here).
Examples of items from the True Resilience Assessment for Youth include:
- I am determined even if the odds are against me.
- I have a friend who will stand by me no matter what.
- If something is worth starting, I’m going to finish it.
- I take responsibility for my decisions.
- I enjoy my life.
If you are interested in using the online True Resilience Assessment in your school, please Contact Us. We will respond within 72 hours.